Re: [Configuring an Intel Ether Express Pro/10]

"James Perry" <james_w_perry@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I just installed Red Hat Linux 6.2 on a Intel based PC. The hardware is

> mostly Intel based (motherboard, Network card...). Everything seemed to
> install fine, but I am having trouble getting the network card to work. I
> know that the card is good, as I used it in the same system under windows
> 98. The network card is an Intel Ether Express Pro/10. I've looked in the
> /ect/modules/<kernelversion>/net directory, and the eepro.o file is there,
> the driver module for the Ether Express Pro/10. I've tried to use insmod to

> load the driver, but the system hangs. If I configure the network card
> (eth0) to use the eepro driver using the GUI based configurator, the system

> hangs on startup. If I use modprobe to try and load the driver, again, the
> system hangs. I must be missing a step.... it is a ISA card, and the
> Ethernet_HOWTO suggests that a probe on the ISA slots is not recommended, so

> I set up the conf.modules to alias eepro to eth0, and to use a irq (one that

> isn't used according to the /proc/interrupts log) and an io address that is

> available.
>
>     Thought I'd check the list and see if anyone has successfully configured

> the Intel Ether Express Pro/10, or knows of a procedure and/or utility that

> would aid in configuring the network card. Any suggestions/help would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, and happy 4th of July!!
>
> JP

The Intel EE has the irq and address configured with their software program.
If you don't know what the card is currently set to then run
the config software that came on a floppy (dos based I think) and see
what the current settings are. Then set conf.modules to what the card
is using.