Re: ICMP: Source quench?

In article <cistron.3960F2FD.DD88EE24@akp.dk>,
Anders K. Pedersen <akp@akp.dk> wrote:
>Glynn Clements wrote:
>> Personally I suggest allowing the following ICMP types:
>>
>>          0      Echo Reply
>>          3      Destination Unreachable
>>         11      Time Exceeded
>>         12      Parameter Problem
>>
>> and dropping the rest (you must allow ICMP type 3).
>
>Why must type 3 be allowed?
>Wouldn't it make it harder to do portscans and similar things, if one drops all
>outgoing "Destination Unreachable" packets?

If you block Destination Unreachable, you also block all the type 3
subtypes:

/* Codes for UNREACH. */
#define ICMP_NET_UNREACH        0       /* Network Unreachable          */
#define ICMP_HOST_UNREACH       1       /* Host Unreachable             */
#define ICMP_PROT_UNREACH       2       /* Protocol Unreachable         */
#define ICMP_PORT_UNREACH       3       /* Port Unreachable             */
#define ICMP_FRAG_NEEDED        4       /* Fragmentation Needed/DF set  */
#define ICMP_SR_FAILED          5       /* Source Route failed          */
#define ICMP_NET_UNKNOWN        6
#define ICMP_HOST_UNKNOWN       7
#define ICMP_HOST_ISOLATED      8
#define ICMP_NET_ANO            9
#define ICMP_HOST_ANO           10
#define ICMP_NET_UNR_TOS        11
#define ICMP_HOST_UNR_TOS       12
#define ICMP_PKT_FILTERED       13      /* Packet filtered */
#define ICMP_PREC_VIOLATION     14      /* Precedence violation */
#define ICMP_PREC_CUTOFF        15      /* Precedence cut off */
#define NR_ICMP_UNREACH         15      /* instead of hardcoding immediate value

Especially ICMP_FRAG_NEEDED is essential for path mtu discovery - please
read http://www.worldgate.com/~marcs/mtu/ for more understanding.

Path MTU discovery is an integral part of the Internet. However, since
M$ NT sends packets with DF on by default, many clueless firewall
administrators block all ICMP, and a lot of layer4 load balancing switches
are broken wrt sending ICMP_FRAG_NEEDED back to the source (like
www.google.com!) nobody will notice one site more being severly broken.

The "September that never ended" effect has extended to most network
administrators as well, I guess. Oh well.

Mike.
-