Re: eth0 card

> I think you are right, and don't think I do have a route to the router.  I
> typed arp -a and got ?incomplete address at
> Now if I could just find my startup scripts.  I tried adding the router
> using route add -net (its a Cisco 2600 router, if that matters), but got an
> incomplete message.  Should the router be addressed as a host or network?  I
> appreciate your patience.
>
> Thanks.
> Jake

Should work either way if the router's ip address is on your local
subnet. A route via eth0 to your local subnet should hit the router's
interface on that subnet when you send packets to the router's ip number,
a host route directly to the router should also allow reaching it at it's
own ip number, and the default gateway route via eth0 to the router's ip
address should hit it with all packets with destination ip numbers
outside your eth0's subnet (excluding 127.0.0.0).

I don't know why arp wouldn't work, other than defective hardware
or invalid network or host ip numbers that do not match what the other
machines are actually configured as. It's not like you have to give a
command for it.

If you send a packet to a local subnet address with a route via eth0 to
that subnet and the kernel does not have a current arp mapping for that
destination ip number, it sends out an arp request for the MAC address of
that ip number. Same situation applies if you send a packet with a
non-local-subnet destination address and the kernel has a device route
for the default gateway but no MAC address for the gateway router's host
ip number. The kernel should get the needed MAC address with
arp automatically for you.

Maybe you have the wrong subnet network number, and the Cisco
doesn't know anything about that subnet (no interface ip number
on the subnet that you are configuring your machine for). In that
case, only a host route via eth0 would reach it with arp requests.
It's ip number wouldn't match the netmask for the local subnet
(although the default gw route should still get to it, since that
uses a host ip number rather than a network ip number).

Your startup scripts are somewhere below /etc (depends on what
distribution it is exactly where you can find "route add ..."
commands):

find /etc -depth -follow -type f -exec egrep -l "route[ ]+add" '{}' \;

(that's a space in between the [ ] in the egrep pattern)

If that doesn't print any filenames, try

find /etc -depth -follow -type f -exec egrep -l "route" '{}' \;

This may give false hits, but the list should still include the
file that you want.

Regards,

Clayton Weaver
<mailto:cgweav@eskimo.com>
(Seattle)

"Everybody's ignorant, just in different subjects."  Will Rogers

-