Re: ubifs_check_node: bad CRC

On 13/08/2019 23:41, Richard Weinberger wrote:

>> The problem occured in the field on several devices, and I cannot reproduce it
>> in the lab.
>
> It sounds a bit like a memory corruption.
>
>>> Please also disable compression in UBIFS, then the read back data maybe gives
>>> you a hint what went wrong.
>>
>> In the corrupted node I see data from syslog. This system is a bit different
>> than the others we usually make, as there are more power cuts and more log writes.
>
> Hmm. Power cuts or many writes should not trigger such a corruption.
> I'd expect ECC errors or data structure errors in UBIFS. But not a good ECC
> with bad UBIFS data CRC.
>
> But with only one sample it is almost impossible to figure...

Memory corruption as in some kind of buffer overflow or use after free ? or physical
bus errors? Anyway I think I will implement some mitigations at the application level,
(eg. less log messages, recovery by creating a new volume, copy the now-readonly data,
rename the volume) because the haystack just got too big for the needle.

Thank you for your help,

Mickael

--
Mickael Chazaux