Re: Trouble with new marvell_nand driver on PXA3xx

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 08:45:44 +0200
Daniel Mack <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Miquel,
>
> I'm having issues using the new marvell_nand driver on a PXA3xx based
> platform. My test does a ubiformat on the chip, then creates a volume,
> mounts it and runs bonnie++ on the file system. After some time (usually
> less than half a minute), the driver spits out a warning like the one
> below, and eventually the UBI layer bails out, which leads to a r/o
> remount and (possibly) file system corruptions.
>
> FWIW, this is the test script I'm using:
>
>  > #!/bin/sh
>  >
>  > UBIDEV=0
>  > UBIMTD=3
>  >
>  > umount /mnt
>  > ubidetach /dev/ubi_ctrl -d $UBIDEV
>  > ubiformat -y /dev/mtd$UBIMTD
>  > ubiattach /dev/ubi_ctrl -d $UBIDEV -m $UBIMTD
>  > ubimkvol /dev/ubi$UBIDEV -N test -m
>  > mount -t ubifs ubi0:test /mnt
>  > bonnie\+\+ -d /mnt -u 0:0
>

> The legacy pxa3xx_nand driver didn't have this issue, but my system was
> also running a much older kernel with that. I'm currently still
> struggling to resurrect the old code, but I'm running into "Wait time
> out!!!" conditions immediately right now. Not sure what's going on.

Hm, so that means the old driver has pretty much the same issue.

> Interestingly, I can't seem to reproduce the bug with any of the mtd
> kernel tests, I've tried all of them, several times, and all succeed. So
> a file system test that includes the UBI/UBIFS layers seems to trigger
> different things in the driver than the the tests that operate on the
> mtd device directly.

Looking at the backtrace, it seems to fail on a high PEB num. Are you
interfacing with a dual-die chip? Can you share the part number of your
chip?

> I'v also tried this with and without the keep-config DT property, but
> that didn't change anything.
>
> Could you try my script on some other device that runs the new driver
> and see if you can reproduce? If bonnie++ is unavailable, extracting a
> bigger tarball a couple of times will also trigger the bug at some point.
>
> Meanwhile, I can start poking around in the driver. I'd be grateful for
> a hint on where to start.

You can try to run the mtd tests on eraseblock 905, just to check if
they pass or not. Also, when you run the ubi/ubifs/bonnie++ tests, does
it always fail on the same PEB?

Regards,

Boris