UBIFS question: Power-cuts after ubifs_leb_unmap()

On 09/07/18 16:11, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Am Montag, 9. Juli 2018, 14:21:33 CEST schrieb Adrian Hunter:
>> On 09/07/18 13:11, Richard Weinberger wrote:
>>> Artem, Adrian,
>>>
>>> While playing with a new UBI/UBIFS test framework I managed to hit this error,
>>> with lprops self-checks enabled:
>>>
>>> [ 2412.268964] UBIFS error (ubi0:0 pid 708): scan_check_cb: bad accounting of
>>> LEB 11: free 0, dirty 118072 flags 0x1, should be free 126976, dirty 0
>>>
>>> LEB 11 is unmapped but LPT still thinks that some data is used,
>>> lp->free + lp >dirty < leb-size.
>>> Even without lprobs self-checks, the same filesystem will later hit this
>>> assertion in ubifs_garbage_collect_leb():
>>>
>>> ubifs_assert(!list_empty(&sleb->nodes));
>>>
>>> The assert makes sure that the LEB actually contains nodes.
>>> ubifs_garbage_collect_leb() handles the special case lp->free + lp->dirty ==
>>> c->leb_size.
>>> But not lp->free + lp->dirty < leb-size.
>>>
>>> Now I'm not sure where to fix that, maybe you can remember some design
>>> decisions.
>>> 1. Shall we massage ubifs_garbage_collect_leb() to deal with this special case
>>> too?
>>> 2. Is it already a bug when this case happens?

If it is caused by a power-cut then the error would appear during the next
mount, probably due to a failure in the replay to correctly account for the
dirty space.

The downside of papering over the problem in GC is the possibility that that
then hides a real problem.