Re: FOSDEM talk next week

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 12:47:37 -0500 (EST)
jeg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi, Bart.
>
> I have been using (and absolutely depending on) dosemu/freedos for
> more than 15 years. I use a DOS CADD program called Generic Cadd
> for the design of electronics and astronomical instruments, which
> I started using probably 30 years ago. I now run 64-bit Fedora
> or Ubuntu on all my machines, and run DosEmu on a 32-bit
> Ubuntu virtual machine because I need the speed; the emulator
> on 64-bit machines is just too slow, and the display code
> did not work properly with GCadd for many years, though that
> was fixed a few years ago.
>
> I have never thanked you and Stas properly for the years of
> work on the code, so please accept that thanks now.
>
> Jim Gunn
> Professor, Astrophysics (emeritus)
> Princeton University
>

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2018, Bart Oldeman wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'll be talking about DOSEMU and FreeDOS at FOSDEM next week:
> > https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/dosemu_and_freedos_past_present_future/
> >
> > There may not be so many people on this list any more but I'd thought
> > I'd reach out. If you use DOSEMU in any useful or cool setting please
> > let me know and I can mention it as an example (you can do so
> > privately too, then I can make it an anonymous example).
> >
> > As far as development goes, for me mostly life with two small children
> > took over, but as he wrote Stas Sergeev has continued with dosemu2 so
> > that is where all the action happens.
> >
> > Bart
> > --

Hi Jim,
if You are using 64-bit distros, You should definitely try new Dosemu2
version - there is now new KVM CPU virtualization mode
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel-based_Virtual_Machine ),
that makes the running of DOS programs on 64-bit Linux OS very fast.
So fast that there is no difference between 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
(And KVM support is Bart's contribution to the Dosemu project)
I would also like to thank the whole Dosemu team!

I use Dosemu/FreeDOS to run my DOS accounting program, sometime since
1.0 version (around 2000) - for almost twenty years!

Regards, Franta
--
I hope the Fedora will have a better init and no binary logs