Re: DOSEMU Version 2 has been Released (DevynCJohnson@xxxxxxxxx)

Hi,

I feel I should clear up the confusion a bit, as official DOSEMU maintainer.

Yes, it is true that life has changed quite a bit for me since 2007
and I am now chasing two small children after work which does not
leave as much energy or time to work on DOSEMU. There has however been
some activity, after 1.4.0 in SVN, the 1.4.0.1 patch release in 2008,
and quite a bit of development in git since Stas returned last year.
The distributions now release based on git that we tried to keep in a
stable state (the devel branch in git is allowed to change more).

So, if somebody skilled with more time than me puts in all the effort
to release a new version of DOSEMU I should welcome that.

However, this is not the case here:
1. "dosemu-reborn" is practically the same as dosemu 1.4.0 but with
licensing changes, some formatting changes and adds "#DOSEMU was
reborn by Devyn Collier Johnson" at various places. A "2.0" should be
instead (IMHO) based on git, be heavily tested, and come with a proper
list of user-visible changes (and not a deleted NEWS file).
2. The license was changed from GPLv2-only to GPLv3-only. Sorry, you
cannot do that in a fork. While I personally have no problem with
GPLv3, you would have to ask all copyright holders to make such a
change, or replace all code by those copyright holders (the dosemu
files that say "GPLv2 or later" are the exceptions). (Quite similarly
you cannot fork the Linux kernel under GPLv3 either).

So while I have no problems with people forking, in the way it is done
here I stronly object, and will only confuse people. But I will gladly
pass maintainership to somebody who can release a "DOSEMU 2.0" that
truly deserves that title.

Regards,
Bart Oldeman