Re: increase number of printers?

I also would like for this to work. We are in the exact same boat with
some actively developed software that uses Windows add-on. I gave
written a script that extracts the fax no. from the print job and
faxes the invoice, but it requires to change the printer. LPT1-LPT3
are used as sales printer, label printer, warehouse printer. If dosemu
supports LPT4+ this process would be much simpler.

On Monday, April 25, 2011, Frantisek Hanzlik <franta@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First, i'm glad to see as DOSEMU development in past several days
> move onwards again. Thank You, Bart and all DOSEMU developers and
> contributors!
>
> We use dosemu for running a warehousing activities program, and we
> are in problems with insufficient number of printers availabe in
> DOS. Know someone what are the possibilities for increasing actual
> DOS max printer number (3)?
>
> Our need are not either print to more physical printers, but use DOS
> print under Linux to other purposes as:
> - print to file and then convert this file under Linux to PDF
> - print to file and then send this file from Linux as mail
> - print to file and then process this eg. with inotify/incrond way
> - send printed data to any Linux program
>
> Our software is stil active maintained and developed, but its
> authors regrettably supposes running only under windows (for which
> it has several supplemental windows programs for windows printing,
> mailing etc.). Under windows program can use printers LPT1-LPT9.
> It would be very nice when it went use ports over LPT3 in DOSEMU
> too.
>
> As there are no needs for direct print to printer, probably are no
> needs for LPTx ports address room in BIOS Data Area.
>
> I have no knowledge how are LPT4+ ports handled in windows, but when
> it is "normal" file open (INT 21 fn 3D "Open file using handle"?),
> then probably should not be extreme problem solve this in FreeDOS
> and DOSEMU code.
>
> Can please someone with better skill explain something about this?
> And are there other DOSEMU users who were happy with this extension?
>
> Thank in advance,
> Franta Hanzlik
> --

Med Vennlig Hilsen,