using virtual 86 mode

Years ago I used turbo debugger (td) and found it excellent for
teaching x86 architecture.
So far Ive not found anything on linux which is as good for
disassembling and grokking machine code.

Recently I found something promising -- edb --
http://www.codef00.com/projects.php#debugger.
But to make it as useful as td I need to run it in real (or
equivalently virtual 86) mode.

Is this doable? Or at least conceivable?

Note that this is the opposite direction to dosemu:
dosemu runs dos applications under linux.  I want to run a linux app
as though it were a dos app.

[And if this question is not entirely appropriate for this list -- I'm sorry.]