Re: EMM386 not installed - protected mode software already running.

Most of the 386, and all of the 286, PharLap Extenders required not just EMS
and/or XMS, but pre-date DPMI (DOS Protected Mode Interface) APIs.  They would
use an earlier approach called VCPI (Virtual Control Program Interface).

The main difference between DPMI and VCPI is that DPMI programs have a governing
Ring 0 manager they are serviced by.  In DOS, this is HIMEM/EMM386.  In NT, this
is the NTVDM.  In Linux, this is the DOSEmu system.  This allows multiple
programs to utilize memory extensions.

VCPI is where one program and only one program can take control of Ring 0 for
its own uses.  And that makes it not only incompatible with DOSEmu, but also
NTVDM (i.e., won't run under Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, etc...).  DPMI
addressed the shortcomings with VCPI.

Only latter PharLap extenders supported DPMI, and all of them were 386 IIRC.  My
knowledge is a bit aged, but I believe this information is correct.  Attempting
to run the program under any 32-bit NT 4/5/6 release would also verify the same.

DOSBox _may_ be an option, as I've seen VCPI programs sometimes execute under
it.

--
Bryan J  Smith             Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:           http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith