Re: DosEMU, Ghost: VGA screen garbled...

Frantisek Rysanek wrote:
Dear DOSEMU developers and users,

first of all thanks for keeping this wonderful project alive :-)
I've used it for several minor tasks in the past, I recall how amazed
I was when I ran Sid Meyer's Civilization under DOSemu...

I've been wondering for some time, if it would be possible to run
Symantec/Norton Ghost under Linux.

I've been aware for some time that "wholedisk is not supported". To
me, this has been a show-stopper - I never even tried Ghost under
DOSEMU for that reason. Much to my amazement, I've recently found out
that this is not quite true anymore, if it ever was, and I've managed
to make "wholedisk" work for me. I can use the fdisk from FreeDOS to
partition physical hard drives...

I'm attaching a short patch to this message, which adds support for
disk drives reporting>16k cylinders to the OS. I've noticed that
DOSEMU internally uses "int" variables for CHS, so I've added some
ioctl()s to src/base/misc/disks.c to get the LBA size of the disk
drive and calculate the correct "cylinders" value based on that, if
the 16bit value obtained via HDIO_GETGEO is clearly bonkers...
And the IBM/MS extensions seem to work just right with that, judging
by the fact that the FreeDOS FDISK reports my big drives correctly :-
)

So today I've finally tried Ghost under DOSEMU, and yikes: the VGA
screen is all garbled. Ghost is clearly alive behind the veil of
ASCII garbage, responds to keyboard - but the user interface is
unusable, because you can hardly use Ghost blind-folded. The screen
consists of random non-text characters with random foreground and
background colours, in 80x25 VGA text mode. As if Ghost was writing
pixels to the video RAM, but the VGA hardware was really in 80x25
text mode. And yes, this is the native VGA screen of the machine, not
a remote SSH session :-)

There was a time when I used to think that Ghost ran in some VGA
graphics mode, maybe 640x400x16 or some such - judging by the
"graphics mode" arrow for a mouse cursor. Today I suspect that maybe
it's just a text mode with a custom font and with the arrow cursor
implemented by an on-the-fly font swapping hack I've read about the
other day: the four characters overlapped by the graphical cursor are
transparently toggled to a few special ASCII codes, whose mapped
characters in the VGA font table are modified with every movement of
the mouse, to display an arrow when combined with the
original/underlying text characters...

Native Ghost under DOS runs just fine on bare metal on the hardware
that I'm using (Intel 865G).

I've noticed someone else's posts from back in 2004, that he was able
to run Ghost under DOSEMU and the user interface looked allright.

I've tried fiddling with some graphics configuration options in
dosemu.conf, but the defaults are clearly all I could hope for /
liberal enough.
I've tried with $_chipset=svgalib and plainvga, I've tried specifying
a range of ports for direct access (along with device /dev/null). To
no avail.
I've also noticed that, on graceful exit, DOSEMU complains about
UTF/non-UTF mismatch between my terminal and the "Locale" environment
variables. If I export LC_ALL=en_US.utf-8, the error message on
shutdown is gone, but Ghost produces garbled screen output just the
same...
I've nuked the framebuffer drivers out of my kernel .config. No
improvement there... (this is vanilla Linux 2.6.28.6).

And that's where I ran out of good ideas :-)
Any further hints are welcome...

Frank Rysanek
--
I probably not help You, but I just quickly tried run ghost (v7.5,
in DOSEMU devel svn1954 on Fedora11/i686 non-emulated mode).

Franta Hanzlik