Keyboard issues? Or is it hanging?

I am running a CA-Clipper 5.3 app under dosemu. Everything seems to
work, except for one screen the user need to press F2 or F4. At this
point the app seems to hang, or dosemu running on a Linux server via
SSH is not able to interpret the keypress. The client is PuTTY under
Windows XP.

How can I ensure that all the keypress are correctly sent/translated?

If the app is indeed hanging how can I detect this and is there
anything I can do about this? Will running MS-DOS under dosemu be
possible and could that help?

Also, while IMO the font looks fine, I don't use the DOS app every
day. I think the font simply isn't the same as when run directly under
Windows XP. Is there anyway to use the same EXACT font as the cmd.exe?