Redneck Rampage noisy sound with DosEmu v1.4.0

Hi all,

I am using Gentoo Linux, my kernel is at 1000 Hz, preemptive and tickless, CFQ scheduler is ON, these are my changes to the default dosemu.conf:

---------
$_graphics = (1)
$_hogthreshold = (0)
$_layout = "it"
$_mapping= "mapshm"
$_mouse_dev = "/dev/psaux"
$_mouse = "logitech"
$_mpu_base = (0x330)
$_sb_base = (0x220)
$_sb_dma = (1)
$_sb_dsp = "/dev/dsp"
$_sb_hdma = (5)
$_sb_irq = (5)
$_sb_mixer = "/dev/mixer"
$_sound = (on)
$_term_updfreq = (1)
$_vmemsize = (8192)
---------

I am running dosemu with niceness -18, I have tried to lower the Khz rate for audio quality, no matter what I change I keep getting noisy sound from Redneck Rampage. It's like a low-pass filter is used, and actually the high frequencies are noisy. I would say that my soundcard is incredibly full of static, if I did not know that dosemu was emulating it before passing input to the real hardware.

My processor is an Intel Centrino 1600 Mhz, I have 512MB of RAM. Has somebody got any suggestion?

I have already read http://osdir.com/ml/linux.msdos.general/2002-11/msg00120.html, setting hogthreshold to 0 did help a bit in game smoothness but nothing changed about the static noise which permeates all music.

I have tried reproducing an MP3 with mpxplay and it plays correctly.

Thank you,
--
 Daniele C.