Re: Dosemu Slower than CMD

Hello,
I download Your app (mitra.tar.bz2: sl.exe etc) and configure and run it
as You reccomended in mail from 16-Mar-2008, with config.sys param
"buffers=10" (leaved at dosemu default value - as I/O is cached at Linux
side, I not see any benefit from increasing number of buffers.
And available DOS memory was 630kB for "buffers=1", and only 578 kB for
"buffers=100". Difference in app speed wasn't perceivable.

At PC with 5 years old P4 2.4GHz (Northwood) CPU/1GB RAM/320GB SATA HDD
 and dosemu 1.4.0-svn_1844 it take about 6 sec.
At PC with E8200 Core2 Duo 2.66 GHz (Wolfdale) CPU/8GB RAM/750GB SATA HDD
 and dosemu 1.4.0.1-4.svn1858 it take about 3 sec.
On both PCs run Fedora 9.

Then I run it with some dosemu debug options (+9#DTEMx - note: this
produce ~ 200MB log file and dosemu must be patched for it, as it log
circular log with limited size - see "src/include/dosemu_debug.h" and
"src/base/misc/utilities.c").
After some logfile analysis I got these results about called functions:

How many
times
called    What
=======  =========
196624 : int16_0x11-kbd-Check_Enhanced_Keystroke
   623 : int21_2ac0-GetDate
   623 : int21_2cc0-GetTime
 70707 : int21_3f00-ReadFromFile
         20035 bx=0x000a (20027x read 12.Byte, 8x read 1024.Byte)
          5577 bx=0x000c read 339. bytes
          5726 bx=0x000d (5577x read 12.Byte, 149x read 1024.Byte)
         36252 bx=0x0009 read 180. Byte
          1870 bx=0x0015 read 144. Byte
          1247 bx=0x0016 read 12. Byte
 70707 : int21_4200-SeekFromStartFile
 26850 : int21_5c00-RecordLock
 26851 : int21_5c01-RecordUnlock
 53701 : int2f_110a-network_lock/unlock
 70707 : int2f_1108-network_read-from-file

Maybe this program section is slow because it has many read attempts,
each of them also do seek in file and lock/unlock functions. And because
it is on Linux native partition, these I/O go over INT2F network redirector
too. Tried You run this app under Windows from remote share?

Eddy Setyawan wrote:
hello Frantisek Hanzlik,