Re: 64-bit compile? - SOLVED

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:39:59 +1300
Bart Oldeman <bartoldeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The question is how important the speed is, as most 16-bit programs
> were written at a time when CPUs were natively slower than the
> emulation speed now!

For me it's not a particularly big deal on my computer; all I do with DOSEMU is
write and maintain my PB programs and occasionally run WP/DOS or the like.
However, I have a "customer" who runs a commercial publishing operation
that's entirely based around Linux, Scribus, and my PB/DOS programs. I'm rather
glad that I didn't set up the x86_64 version of Centos 5 when I put his new
application server together a month or so back.  At the time I didn't want to
do that due to the "adventure" factor on his production machines.  Now I'm
taking that adventure on my own computer here and quite enjoying it, but have
learned that DOSEMU stuff currently ain't where it's at when it comes to
x86_64.   Therefore I did the right thing at the time and didn't realize it.

PowerBasic runs amazingly well under DOSEMU and because of that I brute force a
lot of things that could probably be done a lot more efficiently, but since the
action happens pretty much instantly anyway, it's more than good enough anyway.

If you or anyone else is interested in my adventures with PowerBasic and
DOSEMU, I have an article about it here:

http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/powerbasic-linux/index.html

That article gets a lot of hits every day from people doing Google searches for
"powerbasic linux" and the like.  I shall add a bit to it regarding DOSEMU and
x86_64 one of these days, now that I've had the opportunity to experiment.

-