Re: Performance problems

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 12:19:54 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems to me that there was another program that does pretty much the same
> thing as TAME but without the send-money nag screen, i.e. a free program.  But
> I can't recall its name at the moment....

I found it.

Here is the readme file:

QUOTE:
DVPTAME   Released to the Public Domain, 1991.

DVPTAME lets DESQview suspend programs before their time slice is up if
they are frequently polling the keyboard to check for a keystroke.  You
specify how many times the program is allowed to check for a keystroke in
one clock tick (1/18 of a second), and DESQview does the rest.  No extra
programs to load, no shared programs, etc.

Usage 1:   DVPTAME = <dvp-file>
     Report the current polling limit

Usage 2:   DVPTAME <n> <dvp-file>
     Set the polling limit to <n> keyboard polls per clock tick

In both cases, <dvp-file> is the FULL filename of the .DVP for the program
you wish to tame.

In many cases, DVPTAME will perform just as well as the shareware TAME.
However, TAME can suspend programs which don't poll the keyboard often
but make their idleness known in other ways, and can tame programs which
poll the keyboard frequently even while they are still doing useful work.

        Ralf Brown
        ralf@xxxxxxxxxx
        1:129/26.1
END OF QUOTE

As you can see, it appears to be DESQvew-specific at the moment.  However,
complete asm source code is included in the archive that I have so someone who
is more incentivized than I am at the moment may be able to make it work with
DOSEMU.

DVPTAME doesn't appear to be easily available online at the moment; at least,
Google didn't find it for me.

Accordingly, I have put it online here for anyone who may want to take a look
at it:

http://www.melvilletheatre.com/dvptame.tar.bz2

-