Re: sensor on serial com timing problem under Win > 98

Dieter Blaas wrote:
Hi, I have a temperature / humidity sensor that sends frequency modulated data to the com port. The program collecting them runs under DOS (up to Win98). I can run two DOS Windows with two sensors without any problems from within Win98. Migrating to WinXP, I have tried to emulate DOS with DOSBox, VirtualPC, and VMWare but in all cases the data are wrogly interpreted in that the values are unreliable. This appears to be a timing problem. Does anybody know whether DOSEmu under Linux would do the job correctly?

It perhaps depends how fast meteo sensors are sending data to PC. As faster it does as less probable it is, that it will work properly in
operating system running in virtual machine.

Additionally it also depends how the serial port reading is being done. If using BIOS calls directly then You may perhaps be out of lack. If it is interrupt based, then it may possibly work in DOSEMU, but I don't really know.

I would recommend using Linux directly if possible.

I am a LINUX beginner and would only try it when there is a good chance of success.....

So perhaps it is good time to begin to learn.

Andris
-