Re: DOSEmu fonts and remote access

1)
Perhaps easiest way (I think) is select some monospaced Type1, Opentype
or TTF font (on my Fedora 7 system they are in directories:
/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1
/usr/share/X11/fonts/TTF
/usr/share/fonts/liberation
etc)

When corresponding directories are listed in xfs config file
(/etc/X11/fs/config on Fedora), then fonts filenames and font names
are in related "fonts.dir" files. Monospaced fonts have letter "-m-"
in their name, e.g.:

-b&h-luxi mono-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1
-bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso10646-1

and may be listed by command like this:
xlsfonts -fn "-*-*-*-*-*--0-0-*-*-m-0-*"|sort|uniq

And then is possible specify one of them in dosemu.conf/.dosemurc and fine
tune its size by setting parametr no. 8 (POINT_SIZE), ev. parameters 9
and 10 (RESOLUTION_X and RESOLUTION_Y) in his X Logical Font Description
(XLFD) name.
Namely see possibility of setting different RESOLUTION_X and RESOLUTION_Y values
for setting font width and height:
$_X_font = "-misc-dejavu lgc sans mono-medium-r-normal--0-240-0-0-m-0-iso10646-1"
$_X_font = "-b&h-luxi mono-medium-r-normal--0-200-75-100-m-0-iso8859-2"

This work also with Xming server for win with fontserver enabled (although
I prefer Linux clients - possibility of copy text to/from DOS apps with
only moving mouse over it is simply super! (DOS under Linux is better than
DOS under a product of own firm ;)

Other option, when isn't available big X bitmap font, is creating one's
own from scalable fonts, there are some programs for this. I think this
maybe useful when needed by hand modify some fonts (as some DOS apps
make download their fonts, mostly for change chars with codes 0-0x1F
and 0x80-0xFF), and editing of bitmap fonts maybe easier then outline
fonts.

2)

may be sufficient solution when backup script kill all running dosemu
instances ("killall dosemu.bin"). Or create "/etc/nologin" and kill
all their sessions too.

In LTSP project exist small shell script "vncts" (in Fedora and
K12LTSP distro this is in package "vnc-ltsp-config") which is started
from (x)inet daemon, and this script call Xvnc server with different
resolutions and color depth depending on TCP port called from vncviewer
client. But is possible start Xvnc server from inet daemon directly,
see Xvnc man page.
For small number of clients is possible start their X sessions directly
at server startup and clients differentiate between them by specifiing
tcp port number in vncviewer commandline.

Regards, Frantisek Hanzlik

== Luční 502          Linux/Unix/Novell/Inter-/Net     Tel: +420-373729699 ==
== 33209 Štěnovice     e-mail:franta@xxxxxxxxxxx       Fax: +420-373729699 ==
== Czech Republic          http://hanzlici.cz/         GSM: +420-604117319 ==

Tarquin Adams wrote:
I am new to this list but I'm hoping someone can help with 2 dosemu = issues I'm having.

I've installed dosemu with freedos and the font pack on Ubuntu with
> synaptic package manager.  My objective is to produce an environment
> where I can run an old DOS based accounting package with remote users.
> I'm using xfs to serve the fonts to Xming running on Windows client
> machines with SSH, and lprng to enable printing to IP-based printers.
> I'm very pleased with the system so far as I have effectively built the
> multi user accounting environment I need, but:

***  1  ***
I am using the vga11x19 font and cannot figure out how to get sessions
> running with any font bigger than this.  If I use the basic scaleable
> font by not specifying a font in dosemu.conf, it looks very poor on high
> resolution modern screens and the refresh rate is poor on remote
> terminals.  I've seen reference to vga12x30 but I cannot get this to
> work when I specify it in dosemu.conf.  What options are there for using
> a bigger font?

***  2  ***
I need a method for an administrator to be able to view and take control
> of any or all of the sessions so that they can log out any users in
> order to perform system backups at the end of the day.  This
> functionality was previously provided by multiuser DOS and copilot.  Is
> there a way I can see all the x sessions that are running on remote
> machines on the server machine itself? If this is possible, the admin
> could just VNC into the server and control each remote session within a
> window on the Linux desktop.  If this is not possible, should I use some
> form of VNC for the client access but, if so, how do I start a new x
> window for each remote user automatically when they want to connect? I
> realise this question is a bit more of a general Linux type query.

I hope some of you have some ideas for me!

Regards,
Tarquin Adams
-
-