Re: How to install vga fonts for doseum in Kubuntu?

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Larry Alkoff wrote:

I'm very frustrated.

I'm trying to use a font called 'vga12x30.pcf.gz` which is a perfect
11" wide x 8.5" high font for dosemu.

There have been multiple attempts to set this and other similar fonts.
Sometimes it works but mostly not.

My procedure is:

0. Starting with a new install of Feisty Fawn Kubuntu with no changes in fonts.

1. Copy the fonts I want to one of the directories specified in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf which contains the allowed directories that will be scanned.

<!-- Font directory list -->
 <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
 <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
<!-- Font cache directory list -->

Usually I copy the files to /usr/local/share/fonts/dosemu

2.  Run sudo mkfontdir on the above directory.

3.  Run sudo fc-cache -f -v which scans all the directories in the
   above 'Font directory list'.

   I see that fc-cache scans /usr/local/share/fonts/dosemu
but lists zero files. Does this depend on the restart of X or the computer?

4.  Reboot the computer.

5a. Run xlsfonts |grep vga which will pick up my fonts _if_ they have been registered. Sometimes yes but mostly not.

5b. When I run xdosemu it picks up a smaller font because it cannot find the 12x30 font.

I've done a lot of research on the web but cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. Can someone help me, very please?

I'm not an expert on fontconfig, but have you checked that X uses the
/usr/local/share/fonts directory?  "xset q" will show you all the
directories in your font path.  They are usually specified in the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  Changing the latter file requires that
X be restarted.  Also, if you're running xdosemu remotely, then you'll
have to add the fonts on the machine that is displaying the window.

Cheers,
Rob Komar
-