Re: How to install vga fonts for doseum in Kubuntu?

I'm very frustrated.

I'm trying to use a font called 'vga12x30.pcf.gz` which is a perfect
11" wide x 8.5" high font for dosemu.

There have been multiple attempts to set this and other similar fonts.
Sometimes it works but mostly not.

My procedure is:

0. Starting with a new install of Feisty Fawn Kubuntu with no changes in fonts.

1. Copy the fonts I want to one of the directories specified in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf which contains the allowed directories that will be scanned.

<!-- Font directory list -->
  <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
  <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
<!-- Font cache directory list -->

Usually I copy the files to /usr/local/share/fonts/dosemu

2.  Run sudo mkfontdir on the above directory.

3.  Run sudo fc-cache -f -v which scans all the directories in the
    above 'Font directory list'.

    I see that fc-cache scans /usr/local/share/fonts/dosemu
but lists zero files. Does this depend on the restart of X or the computer?

4.  Reboot the computer.

5a. Run xlsfonts |grep vga which will pick up my fonts _if_ they have been registered. Sometimes yes but mostly not.

5b. When I run xdosemu it picks up a smaller font because it cannot find the 12x30 font.

I've done a lot of research on the web but cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. Can someone help me, very please?

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux