Keyboard mapping

Hi there. I have a couple of problems with dosemu 1.2.2 on Linux. I wonder if
anybody has an idea how to solve them;

The application is being run in a terminal window on linux (not xdosemu) , but
must also work using putty terminal emulator via ssh login.

1/ The application uses the Ctrl-F? keys to activate features, but the right
key presses are not passed through to the app, instead the app sees just the
function key on its own. e.g. user presses Ctrl-F9, application sees F9

2/ The application makes heavy use of the Escape key. Currently after setting
TERM=vt100 the user has to press Esc+Esc to generate a single Esc to the
application. Is there anyway to turn off this feature and just make Esc ==
Esc?

Many Thanks

Andrew
-