Faster startup of DOSEMU

Hi everyone,

I have been executing a DOS program in DOSEMU  using -I 'keystroke xxxx' to
call the program. using the
dosemu.bin -D-a -I 'keystroke "program.exe params\rexitemu\r"' >my.log
2>&1;

I have been trying to improve the performance of this as the results are
being delivered back over the web and I want a fast response. One major
timing concern is the overhead of pumping the keystrokes in which after
timing test I find gives an overhead of around 2 seconds (excluding the
startup and closing of dosemu.bin which seems to be around (1 seconds),
and since the application I am running typically runs for 1 to 10 seconds
depending on the complexity of the output.  But for a simple output taking
say 1 second, being able to trimup to  2 seconds off a 4 second run will
make the application just that much more responsive.

I have tried eliminating the kystroke method by writing a response file: eg
   ===< response.file >=========
   program.exe params
   exitemu
   ========================
and starting dosemu with

dosemu.bin -D-a <response.file >myerrors.log 2>&1

But the commands in the response.file do not seem to work. In fact I get
left
inside a DOSEMU window, and I need to Ctrl-C to exit.

I have also tried the following command line:
dosemu.bin -D-a "program.exe params" >myerrors.log 2>&1
and although this executes it has an additional 10 second overhead, so it is
even slower the the keystroke pumping.

I have never been able to use the wrapper function such as
dosemu -quiet -dumb
I always get the "Now type ENTER to start DOSEMU or <Ctrl>C to cancel"
message.

What is the best way to run a DOS program from the Linux shell without
having
to provide any interactivity other than from the shell/perl script.

Many thanks
Brian
-