Re: module_license tree refreshed against linux-next

On 23 Mar 2023, Steven Rostedt outgrape:

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 12:43:29 -0700
> Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 04:45:02PM +0000, Nick Alcock wrote:
>> > [Cc:ed Steve because I think he wanted something like this]
>> >
>> > % echo 1 > /sys/kernel/tracing/options/sym-unambiguous
>>
>> I'd like to really hear if Steven is really super excited about this or not.
>> You keep saying he wants it, but I haven't him say it yet on the lists.
>
> I'm not "super excited" but I'm also not against it.

Yeah, honestly I don't expect anyone to be *super* excited by any of
this. It's not that big. It's not like, say, ftrace as a whole. It's
just something that can be used to implement small improvements here and
there.

>                                                      But I don't like the
> option name.

Oh the name is dreadful! Better name suggestions much appreciated.

> Perhaps "sym-file" ?

... Yes, except that it also decorates with built-in module names.

> Or does this happen only when there's more than one function? Either way,
> let's try to come up with something other than "sym-unambiguous".

It happens only when at least one symbol in a given (object file *
built-in module) pair would be ambiguous with respect to some other
symbol with the same name without being given at least one of those two.
It's a bit hard to pack into a couple of words... sym-unique is even
worse, sym-objname is deeply unclear (what's an objname?) sym-filenames
maybe? The question really is what property users care about, and I was
hoping it would be that with this option turned on you can always tell
all symbols apart from all other symbols.

--
NULL && (void)

[Index of Archives]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]