Re: Problem with kmod 4 and 'modprobe squashfs'

On giovedì 19 gennaio 2012 18:27:47 Lucas De Marchi wrote:
> Hi, Silvan

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Silvan Calarco
>
> <silvan.calarco@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm trying to migrate our openmamba live media from using
> > module-init-tools to kmod (version 4) but I'm currently seeing a strange
> > problem which I can't understand.
> > In short kmod's modprobe only when used from the initramfs (dracut 14)
> > won't load the squashfs module with 'modprobe squashfs' but it does with
> > 'modprobe squashfs.ko'. The strange thing is that with random other
> > modules the behaviour is as expected, e.g. 'modprobe reiserfs' works. I
> > could not find any difference in depmod files configuration for squashfs
> > and reiserfs, neither anything particular is set in /etc/modprobe.*
> > files.
> >
> > Here are the results of some tests that might be useful:
> >
> > #modprobe -v reiserfs
> > insmod /lib/modules/3.0mamba/kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.ko
> > #modprobe -v squashfs
> > insmod //squashfs
> > #modprobe -v squashfs.ko
> > insmod /lib/modules/3.0mamba/kernel/fs/squashfs/squashfs.ko
>
> How did you generate it (with module-init-tools or with kmod)?

With kmod.

> Could
> you attach your /lib/modules/3.0mamba/modules.dep ?

Here it is.

> One thing you could try is to compile kmod with debug enabled
> (--enable-configure flag), and run modprobe like below:
>
> KMOD_LOG=8 modprobe -v squashfs
>
> Then send the log.

Attached is the screenshot (sorry, I'm running this command from an initramfs
console under virtualbox and this was the fastest way).

> Please, send also the output of "modinfo squashfs" (or "modinfo
> /lib/modules/3.0mamba/kernel/fs/squashfs/squashfs.ko" if it doesn't
> work).

I couldn't do this from the initramfs environment because modinfo is missing,
by the way I checked that the squashfs.ko files are identical in both
environments.

# modinfo squashfs -k 3.0mamba
filename:       /lib/modules/3.0mamba/kernel/fs/squashfs/squashfs.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Phillip Lougher <phillip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
depends:
vermagic:       3.0mamba SMP preempt mod_unload PENTIUMIII

> What's the output of "uname -r"?

3.0mamba. It is in the screenshot as well.

These information don't seem to produce a solution to me, and as I said before
this only happens in initramfs environment, a fully running system with same
kmod and kernel does not produce the problem.

Thank you.

Regards,
Silvan

--
mambaSoft di Calarco Silvan
Web: http://www.mambasoft.it

mambaSoft Store @ http://www.mambastore.it
openmamba GNU/Linux development @ http://www.openmamba.org

[Index of Archives]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]