Re: Problem with kmod 4 and 'modprobe squashfs'

Hi, Silvan

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Silvan Calarco
<silvan.calarco@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to migrate our openmamba live media from using module-init-tools to
> kmod (version 4) but I'm currently seeing a strange problem which I can't
> understand.
> In short kmod's modprobe only when used from the initramfs (dracut 14) won't
> load the squashfs module with 'modprobe squashfs' but it does with 'modprobe
> squashfs.ko'. The strange thing is that with random other modules the
> behaviour is as expected, e.g. 'modprobe reiserfs' works. I could not find any
> difference in depmod files configuration for squashfs and reiserfs, neither
> anything particular is set in /etc/modprobe.* files.
>
> Here are the results of some tests that might be useful:
>
> #modprobe -v reiserfs
> insmod /lib/modules/3.0mamba/kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.ko
> #modprobe -v squashfs
> insmod //squashfs
> #modprobe -v squashfs.ko
> insmod /lib/modules/3.0mamba/kernel/fs/squashfs/squashfs.ko

How did you generate it (with module-init-tools or with kmod)? Could
you attach your /lib/modules/3.0mamba/modules.dep ?

One thing you could try is to compile kmod with debug enabled
(--enable-configure flag), and run modprobe like below:

KMOD_LOG=8 modprobe -v squashfs

Then send the log.

Please, send also the output of "modinfo squashfs" (or "modinfo
/lib/modules/3.0mamba/kernel/fs/squashfs/squashfs.ko" if it doesn't
work).

What's the output of "uname -r"?

> Sorry for directly writing to you but I could not find a more proper place to

No problem, I'm CC'ing the mailing list so the email is properly archived.

Lucas De Marchi