Re: Kmod-4 installation of tools

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Matt Burgess
<matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 20:35 -0200, Lucas De Marchi wrote:
>> Hi Matt,
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Matt Burgess
>> <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > A plain 'make install' of kmod-4 results in kmod's headers, library and
>> > man pages being installed, but not the actual tools.  This appears to be
>> > because the tools are defined in noinst_SCRIPTS in the Makefile.
>> >
>> > Could I kindly request that the man pages be installed iff the tools are
>> > installed.  With the way things are at the moment, it's easier than it
>> > should be, IMO, to end up with kmod's man pages and module-init-tools'
>> > binaries.
>> >

>> First of all, tools are installed by default: there's only one tool
>> named 'kmod' and packagers are supposed to make the symlinks with old
>> names. Aren't you getting a 'kmod' binary?
>
> Ah, right, yes, I get the kmod binary.  However, I also saw in the tools
> directory, post-build, that the depmod, insmod, lsmod, modinfo, modprobe
> and rmmod are all symlinked to kmod-nolib.  As kmod-nolib wasn't
> installed, I assumed that the others weren't installed/installable
> either.
>
> If, as you say, the other tools can be installed as symlinks against the
> kmod binary, then that's all fine.

yeah, if you make, for example the symlinks
/usr/bin/modprobe -> /usr/bin/kmod
/usr/bin/lsmod -> /usr/bin/kmod

Then you have all the tools (but in only one binary).

> Are there plans for the 'make install' target to do this symlinking in
> the future, or will it be up to distributors to provide the
> compatibility symlinks?

We are discussing that... Maybe for next version. It depends how fast
we will deprecate module-init-tools.

Lucas De Marchi