Re: [patch] depmod: export static device node information to modules.devname

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 16:38 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 15:34 +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 16:15 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> >
> > > To be able to let udev support kernel module on-demand loading, the next
> > > kernel will export:
> > >   alias: devname:<name>
> > > for some well-defined common kernel modules. This will let the kernel call
> > > modprobe when the device node is accessed, the subsystem/driver will be
> > > initialized and the open() of the device node will magically succeed.
> > >
> > Isn't this already covered by {char,block}-major-* aliases?
>
> No. We need the device name, which isn't available from the module
> itself, and in many cases different from the module name. the *-major-*
> alias is used to get the numbers to export though.
>
> And this must be limited to explicitly annotated modules too, and not
> for all sorts of broken stuff, which must not exist in /dev just because
> the module is available.

Ah, so this is basically just a bunch of static mknod() calls that udevd
must do when it starts?

Why isn't devtmpfs doing those?

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott@xxxxxxxxxx

[Index of Archives]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     [Big List of Linux Books]