Re: [patch] depmod: export static device node information to modules.devname

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 15:34 +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 16:15 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
>
> > To be able to let udev support kernel module on-demand loading, the next
> > kernel will export:
> >   alias: devname:<name>
> > for some well-defined common kernel modules. This will let the kernel call
> > modprobe when the device node is accessed, the subsystem/driver will be
> > initialized and the open() of the device node will magically succeed.
> >
> Isn't this already covered by {char,block}-major-* aliases?

No. We need the device name, which isn't available from the module
itself, and in many cases different from the module name. the *-major-*
alias is used to get the numbers to export though.

And this must be limited to explicitly annotated modules too, and not
for all sorts of broken stuff, which must not exist in /dev just because
the module is available.

Kay