Re: Queued cleanups

On 3/5/10, Jon Masters <jcm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 10:31 +0000, Alan Jenkins wrote:
>> On 3/4/10, Ozan Çağlayan <ozan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=189127&action=view
>> >
>> > Shortly I think that m-i-t should track this pulled-in dependency chain
>> > and
>> > could be able to prune them all upon
>> > unloading. According to the manpage of modprobe, -r seems to handle this
>> > if
>> > the dependencies are not used too. Maybe
>> > it's just a missed use-case where the dependencies have refcount >= 0
>> > and
>> > not refcount == 0.
>>
>> Ah.  After trying this myself, I see how annoying this could be.
>> There's not really any better way to do this without kernel
>> modifications, sorry.
>
> Right. This is a known problem. And it's something I was thinking about
> after sending the other mail. I agree that this could do with fixing. As
> you say, a lot of this will get better with softdeps, but there's always
> the case that a module load triggers a uevent that loads another module
> we will now depend upon, or several other possibilities.
>
> Let's start with softdeps (and look at hinting in kernel modules), then
> the next step will be to address the deps we read from the kernel so
> that we know who the additional user is in order to unload.
>
> Jon.

Sure.  I wasn't saying it was a good idea to modify the kernel for
this :).  Unloading is only for debugging nowadays.

That said, it might be nice to have "modprobe -r a b c" do the same as
the gentoo script: repeatedly select modules with refcnt=0 for removal
(and then complain about the rest).  Then you can do

modprobe -r `lsmod | cut -d " " -f 1 | grep snd`

which would be easier on the fingers and/or eyes.

Alan