Re: Queued cleanups

Jon Masters wrote:

>>> Try "modprobe -r" :-).
>> I already tried it several times but wasn't successful at all. Will look at it again :)
>
> Can you provide more information? For example, are you trying to remove
> a driver from a system configured without module unloading support?
> Where the module is in use? etc.?

No of course not on a system without module unloading support. When debugging alsa-driver related
stuff I generally need to simulate a clean boot where udev probes the sound-card related drivers so I
want to remove all the linked-in snd-* modules and call:

modprobe snd-hda-intel

to try the new module(s). But I never succeeded to remove the pulled-in dependencies of snd-hda-intel
with -r even after killing the apps which are currently using the related device nodes.

So every time I manually remove the snd-* modules by looking at lsmod output (instead of writing a script:))
by starting from the ones with *0 used by* column. By removing them one by one, other snd-* modules' reference counts
slowly drops to 0 and at the end I'm done:  $(lsmod | grep snd) is empty.

I googled a bit and find out the init script for alsasound (whether it's necessary or not is arguable) which does
exactly what I tried to explain:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=189127&action=view

Shortly I think that m-i-t should track this pulled-in dependency chain and could be able to prune them all upon
unloading. According to the manpage of modprobe, -r seems to handle this if the dependencies are not used too. Maybe
it's just a missed use-case where the dependencies have refcount >= 0 and not refcount == 0.

Regards,