Re: [GIT v3] softdep: now with testing cheese, bugfixes and docs

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Alan Jenkins
<sourcejedi.lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/13/09, Alan Jenkins <sourcejedi.lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 10/13/09, Andreas Robinson <andr345@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

>>> Finally, someone suggested in a private mail that we implement
>>> softdeps in .modinfo, much the same way as aliases are. If you don't
>>> have any objections, I'll go ahead and start working on that.
>>
>> It needs a good reason.  IMO it needs a very good reason...
>>
>> Is this about the uhci v.s. ehci mess?  It would definitely be nice to
>> resolve that.

Yes, it's precisely that.

>> I think we should hear the opinion of the maintainer of whichever
>> kernel module(s) are supposed to benefit.

Agreed. But it's also for the benefit of the distros if softdeps can
be specified by the module devs, rather than something the distro
maintainers have to discover for themselves.

>>> commit 5fd23bcc409045894152bc2e58cd978dcba5140a
>>> Author: Andreas Robinson <andr345@xxxxxxxxx>
>>> Date:   Sat Oct 10 20:00:22 2009 +0200
>>>
>>>     modprobe: softdep now handles mock modules
>>>
>>>     do_softdep skips the main module if it does not exist, following
>>>     the behaviour of the install and remove commands.
>>>
>>>     Signed-off-by: Andreas Robinson <andr345@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Hum.  Why?
>>
>> Install / remove commands are stupidly powerful.
>
> Also - this affects _all_ softdep rules, right?
>
> If you write an install command for a real module e.g. eeepc-laptop,
> which includes "modprobe --ignore-install eeepc-laptop", you still get
> a "FATAL" message if the module doesn't exist.  The exit code will
> even be correct if you write the rule correctly :-).  But this commit
> means that if you add softdeps for a module, it won't complain if the
> module doesn't exist when you try to load it.  That seems like a step
> backwards

*cough*. It appears I didn't think this through properly... :-)

Should I rip it out and rebase right away or do you want to review it
the way it stands?