Re: Remove include command?

If you're uneasy about it, you should keep it in for a while longer.
Please don't rush on my account. In a few months many distros should
have upgraded to 3.7 and read the warning notices, so it makes sense to
wait a bit.

On the other hand, I don't think include is used a lot even now. And, if
someone has to link in files from other locations, they can use symbolic
links.

I looked at a few of the more popular distros (Ubuntu, Slackware,
OpenSUSE, Fedora, Gentoo and Arch) to see how they are set up. I pulled
down the i386 installation CDs, unpacked the root file systems or
tar-files and grepped /etc/mod* for "include".

Out of these, only OpenSUSE uses it, and then just to ensure that some
files are read in a specific order. Researching this mail probably took
me a lot longer than what it would take them to adapt to the new scheme.

Oh, and if you have two conf-files that include one another, the
infinite recursion will cause modprobe to run out of stack space and
crash. It's not a problem in the real world of course, but it needs
fixing nonetheless.

Cheers,
Andreas