Re: Question regarding informing MMC subsystem about upcoming power loss.

wt., 5 mar 2024 o 16:33 Christian Loehle <christian.loehle@xxxxxxx> napisał(a):
> Immune to what exactly?
> - (User) data loss of data that is still in the cache of the sd card?
> (That would be saved by a timely cache flush)
> - (User) data loss of data that should've been written to flash already?
> - SD cards breaking?
> - Explosions?

Data loss of data that is still in the cache of the sd card

> (Anything but the first IMO should be fixed by procurement and not by the
> kernel, but I'm not sure if that's consensus).
>
> > Assuming that I have the information about upcoming power loss
> > (provided by e.g. external interrupt, PSU voltage monitoring etc) how
> > should I pass this information to the Kernel so that it will try to
> > clean up resources - in particular MMC subsystem?

> There was a discussion, currently there aren't really, but it depends
> on the scenario you're afraid of. Just issuing a cache flush might be fine.
> https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-Priority-Based-Shutdown
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/2023112403-laxative-lustiness-6a7f@gregkh/T/

Thanks, I didn't know about this, I will check it.

> One of the fundamental questions IMO remains: How much time do we actually
> have between being notified?

I haven't done any measurements yet, sorry.

Best regards
Patryk

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Memonry Technology]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Media]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]