Re: SDHCI AM654 driver delaying boot time

On 18:56-20231108, João Paulo Silva Gonçalves wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We are trying to minimize boot time for our AM62 devices. Unfortunately, we have identified a delay of approximately 1.5 seconds caused by the
> sdhci_am654 driver. This delay is a result of a timeout within the driver (MAX_POWER_ON_TIMEOUT) and was introduced in commit 7ca0f16 ("mmc:
> sdhci_am654: Add workaround for card detect debounce timer"). This issue arises only when there is no SD card present in the MMC slot.  We tested the
> driver with a lower timeout value and everything worked. However, as indicated in the commit message, this timeout may be related to the way the sdhci
> controller hardware IP works. Currently, the driver employs a sort of a "busy loop" to wait for this timeout to pass delaying the boot. Why is
> need to busy loop for this timeout? Is it possible to wait for it in the backgroud? Am I am missing something here?

I am not an mmc expert, but, Isn't this sequence part of the programmer
manual in the TRM[1]? Either way, one additional issue I did end up with
when I was doing beagleplay[2] was when i booted off emmc and runtime PM
disabled SD/MMC interface, the MMC IP's CD mode would'nt work since the
IP isn't clocked. So I switched the mux mode to GPIO to use mmc CD
there. I haven't timed that approach where
SDHCI_AM654_QUIRK_FORCE_CDTEST would get set.

[1] https://www.ti.com/lit/pdf/spruiv7
[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/arm64/boot/dts/ti/k3-am625-beagleplay.dts#n835
--
Regards,
Nishanth Menon

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Memonry Technology]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Media]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]