From: Linus Walleij [mailto:linus.walleij@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 2017年8月3日 1:46
To: Shaobo <shaobo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: linux-mmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@xxxxxxxxxx>; Adrian Hunter <adrian.hunter@xxxxxxxxx>; Shawn Lin <shawn.lin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxx>; Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Potentially invalid memory accesses in file drivers/mmc/core/block.c

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 3:37 AM, Shaobo <shaobo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My name is Shaobo He and I am a graduate student at University of
> Utah. I am using a static analysis tool to search for null pointer
> dereferences and came across a couple of potentially invalid memory
> accesses in the file
> drivers/mmc/core/block.c: in function `force_ro_store`, function
> `mmc_blk_get` can return a NULL pointer. However, there are a couple
> of conditions that can make the error path infeasible. I was wondering
> if you could confirm this. Especially if the condition
> `dev_to_disk(dev)->private_data &&
> dev_to_disk(dev)->private_data->usage != 0` serves as a reasonable precondition of function `force_ro_store`.
>
> Please let me know if it makes sense. I am looking forward to your reply.

I can solidly confirm that the kernel is full och NULL pointer violations.
But pointing out the problems is rarely helpful as that pushes the work of fixing them to others.

When you find specific cases, send patches to fix the issue to the respective subsystem maintainer(s). It is the best way to illustrate the problem you see and at the same time propose a solution.

You have reached the right list.

Yours,
Linus Walleij