Re: rtsx_pci mmc erase support

On 25 July 2016 at 18:46, Mauro Santos <registo.mailling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello, I apologize if this is not the right place to ask but submitting
> a bug report to ask a question didn't seem right.
>
> I have a laptop with a realtek pcie card reader which uses the rtsx_pci
> driver and I was wondering if mmc erase command support is not (yet?)
> implemented in the driver or if support is missing because the hardware
> does not support it.

These commands don't require a specific HW feature. but only software
support in the driver - which indeed is missing.

Although, one should know, the discard/erase feature in the mmc core
has since long been poorly implemented.
There are a few patches that greatly improves the behaviour and which
are queued for 4.8.

Would you be interested to test the above changes + plus some
additional which I can provide you to enable erase/discard for
rtsx_pci?

> Both fstrim and blkdiscard fail with cards (and fs) I know that support
> this.
>
> The card reader on my laptop:
> 02:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS522A
> PCI Express Card Reader [10ec:522a] (rev 01)
>

> Regards,
> Mauro Santos

Kind regards
Uffe