Re: brcm 4329 problems

On 12 February 2014 04:06, Dong Aisheng <dongas86@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 11 February 2014 08:33, Dong Aisheng <dongas86@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> It depends on both host and card that 1) if host is able to detect
>>> SDIO interrupts without clock
>>> and 2) if the card is able to send interrupt to host without clock.
>>> If any one of both can't do that, we may need to tell host to not
>>> do runtime suspend to prevent the clock from being disabled.
>>> Or the SDIO interrupt may not work.
>>>
>>> The IMX esdhc/usdhc can not detect the SDIO interrupts sent from card
>>> if the clock is disabled.
>>
>> So you are saying you have no option to reroute the DAT1 line to a
>> GPIO irq, right? I guess that would be SOC specific.
>
> I think IMX can support reroute the DAT1 line to GPIO altough i've not tried.
> We have to extend the common sdhci driver to support it.
> Actually with some special hack, IMX can also detect SDIO irq without clock by
> using Wakeup Event Enable On Card Interrupt since the wakeup feature
> does not need clock.
> It's quite similar as using GPIO way, the difference is using which
> interrupt(gpio or sdhci itself)
> to enable the clock for the later card interrupt detect.
> The drawback is it does need a lot special and SoC specific hacks in
> common sdhci driver.
> Comparing simply disabling runtime pm way, I'm not so willing to do that.

I understand the complexity needed for this, although if you have a
look how Andreas Fenkart's solution for omap_hsmmc, I think it became
quite nice. Not sure how much extra effort is needed to adopt it for
sdhci.

If you go with the solution of disabling runtime PM while SDIO irq is
enabled, it's consequences will be that the power domain which the
device resides in can't be dropped. That may, depending on SOC design,
have really bad impact on power.

On the other hand, some SDIO func drivers seems broken and at the
moment it may be considered more important to fix them. We could
handle the optimization for power save as a follow up step instead?

> And i'm also afraid it may cause performance drop since i have to:
> 1) sdio interrupt -> sdhci_irq enter-> disable card interrupt->
> runtime_pm_get (enable clock in async way)
> ->sdhci_irq exist
> (after clock is enabled sdio interrupt will be detected again)
> 2) sdhci irq -> read sdio interrupt status -> sdio_signal_irq...

I suppose there will be a autosuspend timeout, thus this sequence is
only relevant once the device is in runtime suspend state. Certainly
there will be an extra latency to fetch the first SDIO irq, but I
don't think performance as such will be effected.

Additionally, maybe we can use mmc_signal_sdio_irq() from the GPIO irq
handler, thus picking up the IRQ a bit sooner than waiting for the
sdhci controller to pick it up. That could work, right?