Re: mmc_test Correct xfer_size at write

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:37:25 +0100
James Hogan <james.hogan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out why the broken write transfer tests in mmc_test
> require the result to be -ETIMEDOUT, so that I can make dw_mmc pass
> these tests. Perhaps somebody could explain.
>
> I can understand for reads, that the controller is waiting for the start
> bit on the data lines and so it can timeout after a while if it doesn't
> see any. However for writes (as far as I can glean from the physical
> layer spec and a logic analyser) the data response token which is
> normally sent by the card in response to a write transfer is clocked out
> immediately after the data so is either there or it isn't.
>
> Have I misunderstood it or is -ETIMEDOUT just the error that is required
> by convention when the data response token is not detected?

It's more or less by convention. ETIMEDOUT is the closest thing we have
to "we expected a response from the card but got bupkis". You can find
some informal definitions here:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=include/linux/mmc/core.h;h=b6718e549a510780e0f8c9a3be17e64753d6c2f5;hb=HEAD#l81

Rgds
--
     -- Pierre Ossman

  WARNING: This correspondence is being monitored by FRA, a
  Swedish intelligence agency. Make sure your server uses
  encryption for SMTP traffic and consider using PGP for
  end-to-end encryption.