Re: outstanding TMIO MMC patches

Hi Chris,

Am 05.01.2011 19:57, schrieb Chris Ball:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 02:30:30AM +0900, Paul Mundt wrote:
>> Again, this isn't the first time this has happened. Any perceived
>> hostility in this matter is not directed at you directly since you did
>> come in to things rather late and were possibly unaware of the situation.
>> It's more absentee maintainers I have a problem with. In any event, you
>> were Cc'ed on mails that pointed out the problem (at least in summary),
>> you've presumably seen the mails with the patches that went by with pings
>> by people looking for answers, and it still took a strongly worded email
>> to elicit any sort of response. Make of that what you will.
>
> A politely-worded email would have achieved just as good a response as the
> insultingly-worded one.  You should reach for politeness first when dealing
> with someone who might simply be misunderstanding your expectations of them.
>
> Since I came in late, I've been reluctant to overrule driver maintainers
> without someone asking me to do so explicitly (I'm happy to do it when
> asked to).  I do sympathize with the frustration, though; let's move on.
>
>> In any event, we seem to have shaken out the beginnings of a way forward
>> now, so this is progress!
>>
>>> So, let's come up with a workflow.  With Ian absent, it would be good to
>>> have someone with TMIO hardware (I don't have any) who's willing to help
>>> test and review/ACK patches.  I don't generally like to take arch code
>>> in through the MMC tree, so it would also be good to break up some of
>>> the patchsets into MMC-only if possible.
>>>
>> This is basically where the problem lies. Ian has some version of the
>> hardware that we don't, and he likewise doesn't have access to the
>> version that we do (of course there would be no problem in making the
>> hardware available to whoever decides to step up and look after TMIO in a
>> more constructive fashion, though). There are likewise issues with
>> regards to who has access to what specifications, and there are cases
>> where neither Ian nor any of the people from our side have any specs at
>> all. With this sort of a scenario it can be quite difficult to avoid
>> stepping on other peoples toes and making sure that things aren't being
>> inadvertently broken, and this is something I don't see any specific
>> resolution to, other than if you're not around to test and object in a
>> timely fashion, you lose. I don't know if other MMC drivers have the same
>> problem or not, but I can't imagine that this situation is terribly
>> unique when you have both corporations and hobbyists working on the same
>> driver from vastly different angles.
>
> I see.  So, if most patches are coming from your side, it seems that the
> largest problem for the moment is that no-one except Ian can test your
> patches against his hardware.  Do we think there's any chance of someone
> (I guess ideally you but possibly me) getting hold of hardware with Ian's
> MMC block in, for at least occasional testing before releases?

> [...]

Sure, should be no problem.
Ah, just saw that you already pushed those two, thanks.

@Paul:
Maybe it would be best that you ACK those arch patches (if you think
they are ok) and that they also go in via the mmc-next tree?
Otherwise we would need to wait until mmc-next for .38 is merged in your trees,
right?

Thanks,
Arnd