Re: [RFC] MMC: Proposals on reworking clock and power management

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Kishore Kadiyala
<kishorek.kadiyala@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Nicolas Pitre <nico@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This is not clear that this is something that the core can effectively
>> help with.  Opportunistic power saving at the host controller level is
>> pretty much hardware dependent and may wildly vary in capabilities...
>> and bugs.  So in this later case I think the driver for the host
>> controller is the best place to just set up a timer and gate the clock
>> after a certain period of inactivity for example.

makes sense, thanks.

> Agree,
> So briefly, calling pm_runtime_put_sync using a activity based timer
> in the host Controller
> driver will gate the clock to the controller .

Just make sure you call pm_suspend_ignore_children(), because you want
to be able to gate that clock even when the card is still active

> On idle notification to PM runtime core, which will trigger a call to
> the runtime_suspend hook in bus.c
> [https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/226671/ ] which will perform
> powering off the Card

Kishore, I'm not sure what you meant in the last sentence ?