Re: [RFC RESEND] sdhci-s3c: support clock enable/disable (clock-gating)

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Chris Ball wrote:

> Hi Jaehoon/Adrian,
>
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 03:46:50PM +0900, Jaehoon Chung wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >   This is a RFC patch that support clock-gating for saving power consumption.
> >   I found mmc_host_enable/mmc_host_disable function in core.c
> >   (using MMC_CAP_DSIABLE. i think that use when host enable/disable)
> >   So, i used that functions and implemented some functions in sdhci-s3c.c & sdhci.c
> >
> > i want any feedback. how do you think about this patch?
> > Plz let me know...
>
> A few points:
>   * Have you tested this patch?  Did you see a decrease in power
>     consumption?  How large was the decrease?
>   * I don't understand exactly how/when you're expecting to save power
>     with this approach of defining .{enable,disable}() without then
>     calling them from your driver code.  Under which circumstances do
>     you think this will power down the clock?
>   * CC'ing Adrian for help with review, since he wrote these callbacks.

As I already said here:

	http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.omap/39411

I find those callbacks rather problematic.  Currently,
mmc_host_disable() is called by the host driver (currently OMAP) and
that's wrong.  Such decision cannot be made in the controller driver --
it has to be made higher up the stack.

Nicolas