Re: TMIO MMC: full patchset.

2009/10/2 Magnus Damm <magnus.damm@xxxxxxxxx>:
> [CC Paul Mundt]
>
> Right, the MFD driver approach is probably the best one.

:-)

>> Your current implementation is broken in that if as you say the clock
>> rate can vary prior to loading the MMC  driver then you will end up
>> with f_max being set to whatever random clock was set when the driver
>> probes.
>
> No, it's not broken. When the clock is enabled the frequency stays
> fixed. How would things work at all if that wasn't the case?

I asked if the clock freq. changes - you said 'Well, the goal is
dynamic clocks, but at this point it's dynamic until the clock is
enabled'.

Since your code doesnt set the clock frequency, that means the MMC
drivers f_max will be set to whatever the clock was running at when
you grab it.

> The clock
> rate comes from whatever bus frequency that is used for the bus that
> the SDHI block is hooked up to. So it's far from random.

As long as it has no other users that try to change it. What you are
describing isnt a dynamic clock. its a fixed clock that is diifferent
on different platforms.

>> it does stop the clock already when its not in use. (just not the input clock).
>
> Yes, the external clock. That's good.

I think you mean bus clock there.

> I'm talking about the clock driving the SDHI block.

The *input* clock, yes.

> The clock stopping
> is not so exciting though, the real power savings come when we can
> disable the power to the hardware block as well dynamically.

Well the tmio MFD drivers do just that, if you take a look. The hooks
are already there.

> I only need the first patch to get SuperH Mobile SDHI up and running.

IMHO the first patch is not ready until superH and ASIC3 have been
tested and working without modifying it. Thats why I've asked Philipp
to test my changes to it.

--
Ian Molton
Linux, Automotive, and other hacking: