Re: How to handle TIF_MEMDIE stalls?

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 05:50:24PM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Tue 17-02-15 08:16:18, Johannes Weiner wrote:

> > > Yes, basic idea would be same with
> > > http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=142002495532320&w=2 .
> > >
> > > But Michal and David do not like the timeout approach.
> > > http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=141684783713564&w=2
> > > http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=141686814824684&w=2
>
> Yes I really hate time based solutions for reasons already explained in
> the referenced links.
>
> > I'm open to suggestions, but we can't just stick our heads in the sand
> > and pretend that these are just unrelated bugs.  They're not.
>
> Requesting GFP_NOFAIL allocation with locks held is IMHO a bug and
> should be fixed.

That's rather naive.

Filesystems do demand paging of metadata within transactions, which
means we are guaranteed to be holding locks when doing memory
allocation. Indeed, this is what the GFP_NOFS allocation context is
supposed to convey - we currently *hold locks* and so reclaim needs
to be careful about recursion. I'll also argue that it means the OOM
killer cannot kill the process attempting memory allocation for the
same reason.

We are also guaranteed to be in a state where memory allocation
failure *cannot be tolerated* because failure to complete the
modification leaves the filesystem in a "corrupt in memory" state.
We don't use GFP_NOFAIL because it's deprecated, but the reality is
that we need to ensure memory allocation eventually succeeds because
we *cannot go backwards*.

The choice is simple: memory allocation fails, we shut down the
filesystem and guarantee that we DOS the entire machine because the
filesystems have gone AWOL; or we keep trying memory allocation
until it succeeds.

So, memory allocation generally succeeds eventually, so we have
these loops around kmalloc(), kmem_cache_alloc() and alloc_page()
that ensure allocation succeeds. Those loops also guarantee we get
warnings when allocation is repeatedly failing and we might have
actually hit a OOM deadlock situation.

> Hopelessly looping in the page allocator without GFP_NOFAIL is too risky
> as well and we should get rid of this.

Yet the exact situation we need GFP_NOFAIL is the situation that you
are calling a bug.

> Why should we still try to loop
> when previous 1000 attempts failed with OOM killer invocation? Can we
> simply fail after a configurable number of attempts?

OTOH, why should the memory allocator care what failure policy the
callers have?

> This is prone to
> reveal unchecked allocation failures but those are bugs as well and we
> shouldn't pretend otherwise.
>
> > As long
> > as it's legal to enter the allocator with *anything* that can prevent
> > another random task in the system from making progress, we have this
> > deadlock potential.  One side has to give up, and it can't be the page
> > allocator because it has to support __GFP_NOFAIL allocations, which
> > are usually exactly the allocations that are buried in hard-to-unwind
> > state that is likely to trip up exiting OOM victims.
>
> I am not convinced that GFP_NOFAIL is the biggest problem. Most if
> OOM livelocks I have seen were either due to GFP_KERNEL treated as
> GFP_NOFAIL or an incorrect gfp mask (e.g. GFP_FS added where not
> appropriate). I think we should focus on this part before we start
> adding heuristics into OOM killer.

Having the OOM killer being able to kill the process that triggered
it would be a good start. More often than not, that is the process
that needs killing, and the oom killer implementation currently
cannot do anything about that process. Make the OOM killer only be
invoked by kswapd or some other independent kernel thread so that it
is independent of the allocation context that needs to invoke it,
and have the invoker wait to be told what to do.

That way it can kill the invoking process if that's the one that
needs to be killed, and then all "can't kill processes because the
invoker holds locks they depend on" go away.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner