Re: isolate_freepages_block and excessive CPU usage by OSD process

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 04:57:47PM +0900, Joonsoo Kim wrote:
> It'd be very helpful to get output of
> "trace_event=compaction:*,kmem:mm_page_alloc_extfrag" on the kernel
> with my tracepoint patches below.
>
> See following link. There is 3 patches.
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/12/3/71

I have just finished testing 3.18rc5 with both of the small patches mentioned
earlier in this thread and 2/3 of your event patches. The second patch
(https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/12/3/72) did not apply due to compaction_suitable
being different (am I missing another patch you are basing this off?).

My compaction_suitable is:

	unsigned long compaction_suitable(struct zone *zone, int order)

Results without that second event patch are as follows:

Trace under heavy load but before any spiking system usage or significant
compaction spinning:

http://ponies.io/raw/compaction_events/before.gz

Trace during 100% cpu utilization, much of which was in system:

http://ponies.io/raw/compaction_events/during.gz

perf report at the time of during.gz:

http://ponies.io/raw/compaction_events/perf.png

Interested to see what you make of the limited information. I may be able to
try all of your patches some time next week against whatever they apply cleanly
to. If that is needed.