Re: isolate_freepages_block and excessive CPU usage by OSD process

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Christian Marie <christian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Here's an update:
>
> Tried running 3.18.0-rc5 over the weekend to no avail. A load spike through
> Ceph brings no perceived improvement over the chassis running 3.10 kernels.
>
> Here is a graph of *system* cpu time (not user), note that 3.18 was a005.block:
>
> http://ponies.io/raw/cluster.png
>
> It is perhaps faring a little better that those chassis running the 3.10 in
> that it did not have min_free_kbytes raised to 2GB as the others did, instead
> it was sitting around 90MB.
>
> The perf recording did look a little different. Not sure if this was just the
> luck of the draw in how the fractal rendering works:
>
> http://ponies.io/raw/perf-3.10.png
>
> Any pointers on how we can track this down? There's at least three of us
> following at this now so we should have plenty of area to test.

Checked against 3.16 (3.17 hanged for an unrelated problem), the issue
is presented for single- and two-headed systems as well. Ceph-users
reported presence of the problem for 3.17, so probably we are facing
generic compaction issue.