Re: [RFC] Heterogeneous memory management (mirror process address space on a device mmu).

On Tue, 2014-05-06 at 12:18 -0400, Jerome Glisse wrote:

> I do understand that i was pointing out that if i move to, tlb which i
> am fine with, i will still need to sleep there. That's all i wanted to
> stress, i did not wanted force using mmu_notifier, i am fine with them
> becoming atomic as long as i have a place where i can intercept cpu
> page table update and propagate them to device mmu.

Your MMU notifier can maintain a map of "dirty" PTEs and you do the
actual synchronization in the subsequent flush_tlb_* , you need to add
hooks there but it's much less painful than in the notifiers.

*However* Linus, even then we can't sleep. We do things like
ptep_clear_flush() that need the PTL and have the synchronous flush
semantics.

Sure, today we wait, possibly for a long time, with IPIs, but we do not
sleep. Jerome would have to operate within a similar context. No sleep
for you :)

Cheers,
Ben.