Re: Kernel crash triggered by dd to file with memcg, worst on btrfs

Michal Hocko wrote:
> Richard Davies wrote:
> > I have a test case in which I can often crash an entire machine by running
> > dd to a file with a memcg with relatively generous limits. This is
> > simplified from real world problems with heavy disk i/o inside containers.
> > [I have also just reported a different but similar bug with untar in a memcg
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-mm&m=139766321822891 That one is not btrfs-linked]
> Does this happen even if no kmem limit is specified?

No, it only happens with a kmem limit.

So it is due to the kmem limiting being broken, as we discussed in the other
"untar" thread lined above.

> The kmem limit would explain allocation failures for ext3 logged below
> but I would be interested about the "Thread overran stack, or stack
> corrupted" message reported for btrfs. The stack doesn't seem very deep
> there. I would expect some issues in the writeback path during the limit
> reclaim but this looks quite innocent. Rulling out kmem accounting would
> be a good first step though . (I am keepinng the full email for Vladimir)

The btrfs problems only occur with a kmem limit. So this is also kmem-linked
even if that is surprising.

Richard.