Re: [RFC 0/4] cleancache: SSD backed cleancache backend

Theodore Ts'o <tytso <at> mit.edu> writes:

<snip>

> If we are to do page-level caching, we really need to change the VM to
> use something like IBM's Adaptive Replacement Cache[1], which allows
> us to track which pages have been more frequently used, so that we
> only cache those pages, as opposed to those that land in the cache
> once and then aren't used again.  (Consider what might happen if you
> are using clean cache and then the user does a full backup of the
> system.)
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_replacement_cache

<snip>

It's a topic that's come up before, [2] is probably the best resource on the
web right now regarding efforts to change the page-replacement algorithm in
Linux. CAR/CART in particular are rather interesting. Seemingly not much
motion recently, though.

[1] NMF
[2] http://linux-mm.org/AdvancedPageReplacement