Re: memcg: softlimit on internal nodes

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 05:26:20PM -0700, Tejun Heo wrote:
>> If such actual soft limit is desired (I don't know, it just seems like
>> a very fundamental / logical feature to me), please don't try to
>> somehow overload "softlimit".  They are two fundamentally different
>> knobs, both make sense in their own ways, and when you stop confusing
>> the two, there's nothing ambiguous about what what each knob means in
>> hierarchical situations.  This goes the same for the "untrusted" flag
>> Ying told me, which seems like another confused way to overload two
>> meanings onto "softlimit".  Don't overload!
>
> As for how actually to clean up this yet another mess in memcg, I
> don't know.  Maybe introduce completely new knobs - say,
> oom_threshold, reclaim_threshold, and reclaim_trigger - and alias
> hardlimit to oom_threshold and softlimit to recalim_trigger?  BTW,
> "softlimit" should default to 0.  Nothing else makes any sense.

I agree that the hard limit could be called the oom_threshold.

The meaning of the term reclaim_threshold is not obvious to me.  I'd
prefer to call the soft limit a reclaim_target.  System global
pressure can steal memory from a cgroup until its usage drops to the
soft limit (aka reclaim_target).  Pressure will try to avoid stealing
memory below the reclaim target.  The soft limit (reclaim_target) is
not checked until global pressure exists.  Currently we do not have a
knob to set a reclaim_threshold, such that when usage exceeds the
reclaim_threshold async reclaim is queued.  We are not discussing
triggering anything when soft limit is exceeded.